October is Archives month, and you are invited to attend a free workshop!
The Basics of Historical Research 9:00 AM – Noon
October 10 in Stanwood at the Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center
October 24 in Bellevue and Bellingham
The Basics of Historical Research is for teachers, students, beginning genealogists, and others interested in exploring the past. You’ll get practical advice and learn the basic steps for gathering the information that you will need to investigate and interpret a historical topic for a museum exhibit, class project, community celebration, curriculum enrichment, research article, History Day, a classroom based assessment (CBA), or personal historical interest.
This class will cover:
- What primary sources are—and aren’t
- What historical sources are—and how to use them
- How to use the library system
- How to use archival collections
- How to find and use reliable online resources
- How to properly cite your sources
- How to use information from different sources
Seating is limited, so be sure to REGISTER NOW AT http://www.sos.wa.gov/archives/RecordsManagement/TrainingSignup.aspx .
Scroll down to Oct 10 or Oct 24. Select the site and click on the “Register” button.